Farmers are the driving force behind our safe, secure, and affordable food system. Farmers are self-sufficient, result-driven, hard-working men and women dedicated to producing a quality product that not only feeds our nation, but much of the world. Farmers are part agronomist, chemist, meteorologist, economist, communications expert, and CEO. You keep a LOT on your plate, so ours can stay full too. We can’t change the weather, crop yields or commodity prices, but we can provide a few tools to help manage the stress of it all. Check out these safety and health tools designed to help protect the most important asset on your farm–you.
The Farm and Ranch Stress Assistance Network-NC (FRSAN-NC) connects farmers/ranchers,
farmworkers, families and others working and living in agriculture-related settings with stress
assistance programs and resources. If you or someone you know could benefit from these services, please call (844)325-3276 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. See the 2022 FRSAN-NC Program Summary for more information
Healthy MindNC Cooperative Extension Website
Remember, you’re not in this alone! For more help with anything related to agriculture, reach out to your local Extension office–there’s one in EVERY county in North Carolina!
Healthy BodyNCAI Fit-to-Farm Program
Fit to Farm encourages individuals to put their health first by educating them on the importance of a healthy lifestyle. Each lesson addresses the benefits of making healthy lifestyle changes, the consequences of not making those changes and simple strategies for making changes day-to-day while farming, fishing or logging.
Certified Safe Farm Program
Certified Safe Farm is a comprehensive agricultural health and safety program for farmers, family members, and employees that saves lives, prevents injury, improves health, and saves costs!
Certified Safe Farm reviews include:
- a comprehensive on-farm safety review that is not shared with any agency,
- occupational health and wellness screenings conducted by agromedicine nurses, and
- in-person education with farmers and others during safety and health visits.
- NCAI Farm Stress Resource Guide
- Storms, tariffs, trade wars: where do farmers turn when they face unprecedented stress?
- NC Medical Journal: Behavioral Health Issues of NC Farmers
- Financial woes, mental health struggles plaguing North Carolina’s farmers
- Agricultural Safety and Health Guide/Guía de Seguridad y Salud Agraria
- Farm Safety Shopping and Planning List
- Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Agriculture
- Emergency Planning Template
- Farm Emergency and First Aid Kits
- Helicopter Landing Zone
- Agricultural Health and Safety Council of America
- Agricultural Health Study